Muhittin Cavusoglu, PhD, CHE, CHIA
Dr. Muhittin “Tim” Cavusoglu, Ph.D., CHE, CHIA is an Assistant Professor in the School of Hotel and Restaurant Management at the Northern Arizona University (NAU). Prior to joining the NAU, Dr. Cavusoglu served as an M3 Center Visiting Assistant Professor in the College of Hospitality and Tourism Leadership at the University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee (USFSM).
Dr. Cavusoglu has more than five years of hospitality and tourism industry experience at a broad range of levels. He has been serving as the Director of International Conferences for the Association of North America Higher Education International (ANAHEI), a non-profit organization with more than 8000 members from 110+ countries. In this role, he is responsible for producing conferences in different cities around the world. To date, he has organized 16 international conferences under the ANAHEI consortium (https://anahei.org/conferences) and several other, more local events under the aegis of USFSM. His excellence in management skills is grounded in extensive work experience. He has worked in diverse roles for various hospitality companies, beginning as a bartender and server at five-star hotels, all the way up to dining room manager at a premier fine dining restaurant.
Dr. Cavusoglu’s research interests are in the areas of information technology in hospitality and tourism, business communications, event management, and online learning and training in hospitality and tourism. He has authored more than 30 international refereed journal articles, international conference papers & presentations, book chapters and invited papers. Dr. Cavusoglu is recipient of two “best paper” awards: one from the Academy for Global Business Advancement (AGBA), 15th Annual Meeting, Bangkok, Thailand in 2018, and second at the Western Decision Sciences Institute Conference (WDSI), 45th Annual Meeting, Las Vegas in 2016. He was also awarded the 2020 Emerald Literati Award for Outstanding Paper.
Dr. Cavusoglu is an active member of academic and professional hospitality associations. He is currently serving as the Managing Editor for the Journal of Business Insights (JGBI) and the Associate Editor for the Journal of Global Education and Research (JGER) and Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Cases (JHTC). He is also a member of Meeting Professionals International (MPI) and Hospitality Financial and Technology Professionals (HFTP).
Regarding his teaching experience; he has taught Hospitality Information Systems, Business Communications, Event Management, Introduction to Hospitality and Tourism, and International Food and Culture courses at the USFSM. He was also privileged to teach two courses (Introduction to Hospitality and Tourism and Introduction to Research) in Kazakhstan in December 2018.
He received his doctoral degree at the USF in May 2019. His dissertation focus was online and self-directed learning and training of hospitality and tourism college students and industry professionals. He also holds a Master of Science degree in hospitality management from the USFSM. Predating these, he earned his Bachelor of Science degree in tourism and hotel management from Bilkent University, Turkey, and the Bachelor of Arts degree in public administration from Anadolu University in Turkey.
- HA 270 Hospitality Information Technology II
- HA 407 Meetings, Events, and Conventions Industry Management
- HFT 3003 Introduction to Hospitality and Tourism
- HFT 3423 Hospitality Information Systems
- HFT 3894 International Food & Culture
- HFT 4757 Event Management
- HFT 4930 Business Communications
- Introduction to Hospitality and Tourism
- Introduction to Research
- Wu, H., Xiaoxiao, L., Cavusoglu, M., & Cobanoglu, C. (2020). Chinese cruise customers loyalty: The impact of customer participation and service personal values. Tourism Review, 76(1), 255-276. https://doi.org/10.1108/TR-03-2019-0085 (SSCI & Scopus Indexed)
- Ciftci, L., Berezina, K., Cavusoglu, M., & Cobanoglu, C. (2020). Winning the battle: The importance of price and online reviews for hotel selection. Advances in Hospitality and Tourism Research 8(1), 177-202 https://doi.org/10.30519/ahtr.528150 (ESCI & Scopus Indexed)
- Cengiz, E., Cengiz, F., Cavusoglu, M., & Cobanoglu, C. (2019). Managerial perceptions of cost system obsolescence and factors that might affect it: A case study in the Turkish hotel industry. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31(7), 2884-2913. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-01-2018-0099 (SSCI & Scopus Indexed)
- Wu, H., Chen, J., Cavusoglu, M., & Cobanoglu, C. (2019). The Impacts of merchant photos on consumers’ purchase probability on P2P short-term rental platform: Based on the mediated effect of initial trust. Advances in Hospitality and Tourism Research, 7(1), 137-158. https://doi.org/10.30519/ahtr.453268 (ESCI & Scopus Indexed)
- Cavusoglu, M. (2018). An analysis of technology applications in the restaurant industry. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, 10(1), 45-72. https://doi.org/10.1108/JHTT-12-2017-0141 (SSCI & Scopus Indexed)
- Cavusoglu, M., Ongan, S., & Cobanoglu, C. (2018). High school students’ awareness of track and field: The case of the IAAF World Indoor Track and Field Championships. Journal of International Scientific Researches, 3(1), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.23834/isrjournal.385986
- Yavuz, M. C., Cavusoglu, M., & Corbaci, A. (2018). Reinventing tourism cities: Examining technologies, applications, and city branding in leading smart cities. International Interdisciplinary Business-Economics Advancement Journal, 3(1), 57-70. https://doi.org/10.5038/2640-64184.108.40.2069
You can find my dissertation and thesis below:
- Cavusoglu, M. (2019). Online and self-directed learning readiness among hospitality and tourism college students and industry professionals (Publication No. 13805377) [Doctoral dissertation, University of South Florida]. ProQuest Dissertations and Thesis Global.
- Cavusoglu, M. (2015). An analysis of technology applications in the restaurant industry [Master’s thesis, University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee]. Scholar Commons. http://scholarcommons.usf.edu/etd/5456/
- Akinoglu, G., Cavusoglu, M., & Okumus, B. (2012). A case study on ISO [International Standard Organization] certification in the lodging industry in Turkey [Unpublished undergraduate graduation project]. Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey.
International Director of Conferences and Events
In my current position, as an International Director of Conferences and Events at the Association of North America Higher Education International (ANAHEI), I am:
- Promoting the conferences and events internationally
- Helping the academics from all around to world to attend the ANAHEI conferences and events
- Working with appropriate individuals to develop and monitor timelines and deadlines related to all aspects of events
- Developing and monitoring budgets to ensure revenue and expenses are kept within established boundaries
- Making decisions on purchasing conference and event materials
- Reviewing financial information for accuracies, such as invoices for services and materials
In this role, I organized the following conferences:
- 2nd Global Conference on Business and Economics (GLOBE 2019), September 30-October 3, 2019, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 3rd Global Conference on Education and Research (GLOCER 2019), May 21-24, 2019, Sarasota, Florida, USA
- Global Conference on Business, Hospitality and Tourism Research (GLOSEARCH 2018), October 2-5, 2018, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- 1st Global Conference on Business and Economics (GLOBE 2018), June 4-8, 2018, Sarasota, Florida, USA.
- 2nd Global Conference on Education and Research (GLOCER 2018), April 17-20, 2018, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
Food & Beverage Industry
Dining Room Manager
February 2011-June 2011
As a Dining Room Manager at the Le Piment Rouge, I was:
- Managing the dining room services
- Facilitating communication between the dining room and the kitchen
- Dealing with customer complaints about food and service
- Taking reservations and plans dining room layout to accommodate predicted numbers of guests
- Preparing the daily reports and informed the accounting department
- Managing inventory of all dining room products
I am currently serving as a Managing Editor for:
I am currently serving as an Associate Editor for:
I have been serving as a Reviewer for several journals including:
- Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology (SSCI & Scopus Indexed)
- International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management (SSCI & Scopus Indexed)
- International Journal of Hospitality Management (SSCI & Scopus Indexed)
- Tourism Review (SSCI & Scopus Indexed)
- Journal of Urban Technology (SSCI & Scopus Indexed)
- Advances in Hospitality and Tourism Research (ESCI & Scopus Indexed)
- SAGE Open (Scopus Indexed)
- Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Cases
- Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Insights
My previous services included:
- Editorial Assistant, Journal of Global Education and Research (JGER), May 2017- October 2019.
- Publishing Design Assistant, Journal of Global Education and Research (JGER), May 2017-October 2019.
- Editorial Assistant, Journal of Global Business Insights (JGBI), September 2015- September 2019.
- Publishing Design Assistant, Journal of Global Business Insights (JGBI), September 2015-September 2019.
- Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction With an Emphasis in Adult Education
College of Education
University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
Dissertation Focus: Hospitality and Tourism Education
- MS in Hospitality Management
College of Hospitality & Technology Leadership
University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee, Sarasota, FL, USA
Thesis Focus: Restaurant Technologies
- BS in Tourism and Hotel Management
School of Applied Technology and Management
Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey
- BA in Public Administration
Anadolu University, Eskisehir, Turkey
- Certified Hospitality Educator (CHE)
- Certification in Hotel Industry Foundations and Introduction to Analytics (HIFIA)
- High School Degree in Hospitality and Tourism Vocational High School, Trabzon, Turkey